Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Book of Lamentations

Click here for the end of Jeremiah.



CHAPTER 1

This is a poem mourning the loss of Jerusalem.  Get used to it – that’s what the entire chapter is. 

At first it describes Jerusalem as a widow, with no one left to mourn for her.  That said, the characterizations seemed more like a whore.  That’s too harsh and nasty, but there is an undercurrent of criticism that isn’t always such an undercurrent.  Ultimately, the poet responsible for this believes that this is God’s just punishment for the sinful ways of the people of Jerusalem. 

Early on, the authors writes of the abandoned city, ‘She has no one to comfort her from all her lovers.”  Calling Jerusalem a she and then noting many lovers – that doesn’t sound like a positive connotation in the Bible.  Later on, the poem shifts to first person and Jerusalem itself cries out, “I cried out to my lovers, but they failed me.”

Maybe I’m thinking this in too sexual of terms.  I keep going back and forth with this.  At times I think I’m making too much of it, but then I look at it, and again – since when is it a good thing in the Bible for any sort of female to have multiple lovers?  However, I look at the poem in that direction – that it’s criticizing Jerusalem for unfaithfulness – and I see something else.

There is a lot of serious mourning here.  The poet flatly breaks down in tears later on.  He is horrified how desolate the city is.  No, it’s not a poem primarily criticizing the city.  It’s one primarily mourning it. But the mourning is tinged with this sense of deserving it.

Also, the line, “Her uncleaniness is on her skirt” made me thing of Monica Lewinksy.  I doubt that’s what it means, but that’s where my mind went.

I’m not very happy with my analysis of this chapter, but that’s life sometimes.

CHAPTER 2

Lamentations is a collection of five poems around the same theme – the loss of Jerusalem, with each chapter being a different poem. 

This one starts off by noting God’s anger.  It sounds positively Jeremiah-ian when it declares, “The Lord has become the enemy, he has devoured Israel.”  Well, Jeremiah would probably say Israel has become the enemy, but the result is the poet thinks that God is personally against his supposed people. 

Our poet takes this especially hard, so much so that he ends up vomiting.  Really.  He writes, “My eyes are spent with tears, my stomach churns.  My bile is poured out on the ground at the brokenness of the daughter of my people.”  Stomach churning then bile pouring?  Yep, sounds like someone just puked. I do believe that’s the first puke in the entire Bible.

He sounds desolate, and mirrors what is said in the Book of Deuteronomy, as he writes, “Must women eat their own offspring.”  When I first read those lines of cursing in Deuteronomy, I figured it was some hyperbole; poetic license.  But we’re hearing the same things here.  Maybe these Lamentations were written long after the fact and were cribbing from Deuteronomy.  But then again …Jerusalem was under siege.  Surely some did resort to cannibalism when the food ran out. Yeah, maybe some mothers really did eat their own newborn.  Yikes.  Maybe not, but I’m starting to wonder.

CHAPTER 3

This is easily the longest poem in Lamentations.  At 66 verses, it’s exactly three times longer than any of the other chapters.  Incredibly, it’s exactly three times the length  of all the other chapters. Yes, that’s right, every other chapter in the book is exactly 22 verses long.  Neat.

This one starts off with utter despair.  I know Lamentations is all about despair, but nothing and I mean nothing out-despairs the early parts of Chapter 3.  Our poet tells us that, “Even when I cry for help, [God] stops my prayer.”  Wow.  That’s a novel concept - -God using his all mighty power to prevent people from praying.  That’s a new one.

Later on, he tells us: “I have forgotten what happiness is.  My enduing hope, I said, has perished before the Lord.”  Normally people turn to the Bible to find hope, yet hear we see a section of the Bible itself without hope.

But the mood doesn’t last.  About a third the way through, he makes a turn, noting: “But this I will call to mind; therefore I will hope.”  OK, good.  I was beginning to wonder about this guy.  I’m glad to hear he’s found reason for hope.  Sure life sucks, but he finds his rock to hold onto: “For the Lord does not reject forever.”  You know, speaking as a non-religious Bible reading, I find that to be an especially wonderful statement.  It’s one of my favorite lines in the Bible so far.  And it makes sense.  If you were all powerful and all mighty and all that – would you really want to waste your time on grudges?  What’s the point of being omnipotent if you’re going to waste it on eternal pettiness?

He goes on, and looks forward to the day when God will come back to the Children of Israel.  It looks like it’s going to end on an uplifting note, and I’m sure the poet things it does – but it’s the worst kind of uplifting note.  You know what’ll really prove God is back on the side of the Hebrew?  If he kills their enemies.  Yes, this lovely poem ends screaming for vengeance.

This is like the long lost 151st psalm.  It contains many elements of psalms; both the best and worst of them.

CHAPTER 4

This one puts the focus back on Jerusalem.  It’s called, “Miseries of the Besieged City.”  Once again, we’re told that women have eaten their own newborn: “The hands of compassionate women have boiled their own children!”  Again – did this really happen?  Maybe.  It just might have happened. 

It features some good lines, too.  “Even jackals offer their breasts to nurse their young.”  That’s a nice analogy for a people who feel totally adrift.  Later we’re told, “Better for those pierced by the sword than for those pierced by hunger.”  Plenty of parts in the Bible (or many other places) feel that the dead have it better than the living, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the sentiment so succinctly put as here. 

Much like Chapter 3, this one ends on a note of revenge.  This time, there’s a specific target: Edom.  Apparently, Edom is gloating at the destruction of their bossy neighbor.  Laugh it up, Edom boy. You’ll get yours. 

CHAPTER 5

This is just another plea to the Lord to be remembered.  Unlike the other poems, which all sound like they take place in the immediate aftermath of Jerusalem’s fall, this one sounds like it’s from later.  The poet writes, “Our ancestors, who sinned, are no more; but now we bear their guilt.” 

I guess that’s why it’s at the end of the book.  It’s more a longing to return that a horrific memory of what was lost.

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS

It’s a decent enough chapter and the poems read fairly well.  It’s certainly not the most ambitious book in the Bible, but it hits its mark for the most part.

Click here for the next book, Baruch

No comments:

Post a Comment