Monday, July 22, 2013

Psalms 17 and 18


Picking up where I left off - more psalms: 

PSALM 17

I dunno, maybe I’m focusing too much on the words and not enough on the emotions in the psalms.  From an emotional point of view I can find this relatable.  It’s the psalm by someone who feels alone, cast aside by the world – and he’s crying out to the Lord for help.  After all, it’s call “Prayer for Rescue from Persecutors.” 

Yeah, but the first part of it leaves me flat.  It shouldn’t, I suppose, but it does.  The psalmist (supposedly David, again) makes his case in it, saying his lips move without guile, that the Lord knows his heart is right and that there is no malice in him, that he’s not transgressed, that his feet haven’t faltered, etc.  – The guy just sounds a little too sure of himself.  This guy is really, really sure that what he’s done is enough.  He’s just a little too full of himself and his piety.

It would be one thing if he’d just say he’s tried his best and strived to be good.  But here, he’s not just saying he’s strived, but that he’s succeeded.  How can you tell?  How can you ever know?  The lack of self-doubt leaves me a little cold, and that’s the first impression the psalm gives me. 

PSALM 18

This is the longest psalm so far, by far.  It’s also the most action packed, full of vigorous language.  This isn’t a psalm pleading for help – it’s a psalm celebrating success.  The intro is unusually detailed, saying its David’s prayer for victory over his opponents after surviving his enemies and Saul.  This time, I have no problem believing it’s actually written by David – it reads just like it.

The opening section praises God, and then next you here about all the problems that he had to overcome.  There’s a sense of energy and danger here.  If Michael Bay was to ever do a movie based on a psalm, it would be this one. 

There’s still that sense of cocksuredness that bugs me throughout the psalms.  (Maybe David really did write them all).  He’s been good before the Lord, and the Lord has repaid him.  This is made directly clear when he states, “So the LORD rewarded my righteousness, the cleanness of my hands in his sight.  Toward the faithful you are faithful; to the honest man you are honest; Toward the pure, you are pure; but to the perverse you are devious.  For humble people you save; haughty eyes you bring low.” 

That’s very well written, but it’s hard to believe.  Just ask Job how well that always works out.  Life isn’t a morality play.  (Also, David – you’re not so humble yourself from what I’m reading here).  Christianity at least says everyone will get what they deserve in the next life, not this one.  David is really sure of the righteousness of himself, and personally I relate better to people who feel that we’re all naturally sinners, but try to overcome.

And boy, is David ever sure of himself.  Later on in the poem, he – fully and surely certain that the Lord has always been on his side – lets off these memorable lines: “I pursued my enemies and overtook them; I did not turn back till I destroyed them.  I decimated them; they could not rise; they fell at my feet.  You girded me with valor for war, subjugated my opponents beneath me.  You made my foes expose their necks to me; those who hated me I silenced.  They cried for help, but no one saved them; cried to the LORD but received no answer.” 

Wow! It’s the exposed neck line that really sticks with me – that’s detail!   And of course, they’re crying to help to be saved from David – but didn’t happen.

Maybe you need to be this certain in yourself to act like this without trouble.  

EDITED to add: click here for the next batch of psalms

No comments:

Post a Comment