Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Psalms 138 to 150

Here is the previous psalm bunch.  Now for the final 13 psalms:


PSALM 138

It’s another psalm praising God.  It’s a nice psalm, but nothing especially notable.  God is praiseworthy for strengthening the spirits of the faithful, for helping the lowly, the opposing the proud, and for having mercy.  I got to admit, those are good reasons to praise God.

PSALM 139

This one begins, “Lord, you have probed me” and my mind imagines God being a smash alien on a flying saucer with the psalmist tied down to a table.  I know he doesn’t mean that kind of probing, but that’s where I went with it. 

But the psalm gets going and it’s a very good one.  It starts out about how God has tested the psalmist, and knows everything about him.  He must – after all, he’s God.  He’s all-knowing and all-seeing.  He created all and there is nowhere you can go to get away from him.

And glory to him, because his creations are so numerous and wonderful.  The psalmist doesn’t talk about mountains or rivers that God made, but instead the psalmist thanks him for making the psalmist himself. At one point he says of God’s creations, “Were I to count them, they would outnumber the sands.” Well, sure, God created the sands, too.  So if he just created one other non-sand thing, he’s got the sands beat. 

It turns a little violent at the end with talk of how the psalmist hates those who hate the Lord, but otherwise it’s a heart-warming psalm.

PSALM 140

At this point, it’s pretty damn difficult for any psalm to say anything that original.  They’re all variations on the same themes, so they run together.  And I certainly have trouble saying anything interesting about any of them.

This one is a praise of the Lord psalm attributed to David.  I can believe it’s a David psalm, as most of it is about how enemies tried to kill me and the evil set a trap for me.  That was true in David’s life, but it doesn’t really resonate with me.  Show me a psalm about a person having internal doubts instead.

PSALM 141

It is another psalm attributed to David – and it’s a good one.  It’s a plea to God for help.  The main theme is that David is only good with help from the Lord.  He asks, “Set a guard, Lord, before my mouth, keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not let my heart incline to evil, to perform deeds in wickedness.”  That’s a refreshing bit of modesty from a Davis psalm. 

Also, I just love this line near the top of the psalm: “Let my prayer be incense before you.”  Yeah, I just like that. 

Later it gets violent, as psalms often do, as it says, “May their leaders be cast over the cliff.”  Yeah, that’ll happen in psalms.  But the main thrust is a man pleading with God to help him be morally upright in his life.  That’s a worthy psalm.

PSALM 142

This is another David psalm, and it’s a man desperate for help.  As it typically the case with David, the problems are external, not internal.  It’s not personal doubt or turbulence, but enemies he must overcome.  This is what – the 30th or 40th psalm like this so far? 

It has a nice intro, as he begs permission of the Lord to vent a bit but then it’s standard stuff; nothing I haven’t read a few dozen times before.

PSALM 143

This is another David psalm, and it’s good, but they all sound the same at this point.  David starts off tentatively, pleading to God not to be judged, because “before you no one can be just.”  His enemies are after him, and his spirits are low.  He can only turn to the Lord, “for I entrust my life to you.” 

It’s a nice psalm, and I’d probably have more to say if it doesn’t sounds like a dozen previous psalms.

PSALM 144

This is a pretty good psalm, and it doesn’t exactly remind me of any previous ones; an amazing achievement this deep in.  Parts of it remember me of different psalms, but the overall effect is original.

It begins a militaristic psalm as David (the attributed psalm writer) calls for help in battle.  But then it takes an unexpected introspective turn in the second stanza.  David asks, “Lord, what is man that you take notice of him; the son of man, that you think of him?  Man is but a breath, his days are like a passing shadow.”  Aside from the unexpected turn in this psalm, that is just beautifully written stuff.

At the end, David veers his attention to the future, asking, “May our sons by like plants, well nurtured from their youth, our daughters like carved columns, shapely as those of the temple.”

He’s good from getting ready for battle, to wondering about the relationship between man and God, to remember what he’s fighting for – and all along he’s got God in mind.  Yeah, this is a nice psalm.

PSALM 145

Here’s a milestone for myself – it’s the last psalm attributed to David.  The David psalms go out with a decent one, but nothing great.  It’s a psalm praising God.  OK.  It’s nice and stuff.  But it’s rather telling at this point that the best line – “The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abundant in mercy” is one I’ve heard before.  After you’ve read 140-plus psalms, they all blur together.

PSALM 146

This is a nice little psalm that praises the Lord as the friend of the little guy.  God is the guy who looks out for orphans, sets prisoners free, loves the righteous, protects the resident alien, and raises up those bowed down.  Oh, and we’re also flatly told, “Put no trust in princes.”  This is a psalm quite likely written by someone from the marginal social classes.  It sure reads like that’s the case.

PSALM 147

At 20 verses, this is the longest remaining psalm.  In fact, from here on out, each psalm is shorter than the one before.

Though it’s 20 verses long, I don’t have much to say about it.  This is just a psalm praising God; plenty like that before.  The only part I found memorable at all was this, “[God] takes no delight in the strength of horses, no pleasure in the runner’s stride. Rather the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him.”

OK, first God-taking-pleasure-in-people-fearing-him has got to be my least favorite type of praise-the-Lord psalm.  It makes him sound like Kim Jong Il or something.

Second, that is just a very weird intro to it.  He takes no pleasure in horses?  Where does that come from?  How does that lead to taking pleasure in fear?  It just strikes me as odd and random.

PSALM 148

It’s another praise-the-Lord psalm.  This one is a bit weird, though.  It praises God for all creation, which other psalms have done, but this takes it a different direction. Now, instead of praising God for making water, the water should praise him.  Yeah, this psalm calls on the creations of God to praise God.  Sun, moon, angels, heavens, waters, sea monsters, hail, clouds, wind, animals – are all told to praise God.  Oh, and “kings of the earth and all peoples” too. 

This psalm has a certain energy to it, I’ll give it that.  It’s one that reminded me of a rock song or something.  Christian rock, obviously.

PSALM 149

It’s another praise-the-Lord psalm.  We seem to be ending with a run of them.  It’s standard stuff, until it takes a (standard) dark turn halfway through. 

After all the typical talk of how wonderful God is, the Hebrew are told to rejoice, “With the praise of God in their mouths, and a two-edged sword in their hands.”  Wait – with a two-edged sword?  Yep, as the next verses say, “To bring retribution to nations, punishment on peoples, to bind their kings in shackles, their nobles in chains of iron.”  Oh, so praise God so we can overpower (and kill) people. 

Eh, I like the generic first half better.

PSALM 150

Here it is – the last fucking psalm!  It’s a simple, six-verse praise-the-Lord psalm.  Oh good, haven’t had one of them in a while …

This one gets the band back together.  We’re going to praise God with lyre and harp and horn and tambourines and dance and strings and pipes and crashing cymbals.  This is the most musically inclined of the psalms, that’s for sure.

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS

My intent in reading the psalms as I went through the rest of the Bible was simple.  When I’d previously tried reading the psalms straight through, it was a nightmare; the Bataan Death March of Bible reading.  They all start to sound the same and wear on me.  Then go on for another 90 psalms.

Frankly, that happened again.  But at least it wasn’t as bad just reading a few a day. 

I’m told that these are among the highlights of the Bible for many.  I guess they go better if you have faith.  Some were great – actually, many were.  But reading them all – they really do start to sound like the same – and then go on for another 90 psalms.

My favorite ones were ones where an individual cried to God for help, because there was nowhere else he could turn to.  People experiencing internal torment – that’s what religion best serves.

My least favorite psalms were the ones calling for vengeance.  Far too often, psalms pitted the world as Good People versus Bad People, and the latter should be crushed. Also, Good People are those who believe in God and Bad People don’t.  This reminds me of many of my least favorite aspects of the highly religious – some (NOT all or even most) are extremely judgmental and so damn sure of themselves that they have no problem treating others like shit for going against them.   (For example, see the entire Republican Party these days). 

I didn’t get much out of the praise-the-Lord psalms for the most part, but they just left me flat, where the crush-non-believers psalms actively bugged me.

Well, I’ve made it though psalms.  It’s the third time I’ve done that – but the first time I’ve actually paid attention to all of them.  So I got that to be proud of.  

Click here to start Proverbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment